Why this solution?
This was a low-cost way to make interim safety improvements for people on bikes along part of Thorndon Quay.
- Bike lanes painted on the road between the parking and traffic on both sides of the road between Davis Street and Mulgrave Street.
- Bike lanes varying in width from 1.6m to 2.4m.
- All angle parking on the Westpac Stadium side changed to parallel parking.
- 45 parallel car parks on this side of the street (reduced from the 97 spaces currently provided).
- The removal of 11 parallel car parks outside the city end of Capital Gateway.
- All 10 hour parking changed to 6 hours.
- No changes to parking on the western side.
- Traffic lanes narrowed to 3.5m, except where they are already narrower.
- The painted median strip shifted slightly with minor changes in width.
- Retaining the morning peak citybound clearway.
Read the full traffic resolution (227KB PDF) and plans (5.1MB PDF)
See how the changes that were planned compare to the current layout.
We have received feedback from the community about this project. Click here to view the summary graphs.