Bridge work getting under way
Work to widen the bridge over the Kaiwharawhara Stream began on Monday 26 August 2019. Weather permitting, the work should be complete by the end of October.
What to expect during construction
- Mobil has recently moved major fuel pipes that were attached to the bridge, which means we can now get on with the upgrade.
- Below and adjacent to the bridge, new foundations or wing walls will be constructed on the seaward side.
- Telecommunication cables and other services will be temporarily repositioned, and later reattached to the new section of bridge.
- The existing deck, the part which people walk and ride on now, will be lifted out by crane. New steel beams will be lowered into place, and the wider new pre-cast concrete deck craned into position on top.
- To do the work safely, traffic changes will be in place around the bridge at times from Monday 26 August.
- Traffic management won’t be required all the time, but when it is necessary, restrictions will be in place at non-peak times – Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- At these times, there will be a 30km/h speed limit in both directions between Westminster Street to just past the bridge – and also at the bottom of Kaiwharawhara Road below Pickering Street.
- Citybound traffic travelling along Hutt Road will be down to one lane around the work site – from Westminster Street to just past the bridge (near the bus depot and opposite School Road).
- Traffic coming down Ngaio Gorge will also be required to merge into one lane just before the intersection with Hutt Road.
- Additional traffic restrictions may be required for short periods on occasions to enable lifting or other special operations to happen.
- A detour around the work site will be provided for pedestrians and cyclists. Like the existing narrow bridge, it will be a shared space. People on bikes will need to keep speeds down through this section, take extra care, and give way to people on foot as required.
- Routine resealing work is also planned on part of Hutt Road over summer. This work can’t be done at the same time as work on the bridge so will happen afterwards – date to be confirmed.
See a diagram showing the traffic changes (444KB) that will be in place as the changes are required.